North Texas Jobs with Justice has called a free "Turkey Dog Roast" on the day after Thanksgiving! We gather at 1 PM November 27 at the pavilion on the south side of Lake Cliff Park, corner Colorado and Zang. It's just across the river from downtown Dallas.
We will publicly call for health care reform as a partial solution to the jobless crisis.
Labor and other forces are recognizing that we can’t afford to ignore the 17% unemployment and underemployment that has created an army of suffering bigger than most state’s population! It was wonderful when the national AFL-CIO presented, on November 17, a program to ease the unemployment crisis.
Their five-point plan is outlined by President Rich Trumpka on www.aflcio.org. Here is a summary.
1. Extend unemployment benefits, food assistance and health care for the unemployed.
2. Put America to work on our broken infrastructure.
3. Boost aid to state and local governments to maintain vital services and prevent more layoffs.
4. Directly create jobs that put people to work in our communities meeting pressing needs.
5. Put TARP funds to work for Main Street instead of bankers.
President Trumpka added, “Doing nothing is not an option.”
Here in North Texas, Jobs with Justice is starting by connecting health care reform, which we were already working on, to the jobs crisis. More information on our thinking is available.
It’s going to be a long fight and we need all the allies we can find!
The teachers union is seeking help on the election campaign.
Construction workers are forming a coalition for better jobs
Government employees are organizing airport workers
love & solidarity